I haven’t written here in a very long time, and to be honest I’m not even sure I want to still blog. Before Instagram and Whatsapp, this was my space for sharing my random photos and thoughts about the world around me. I can’t help but wonder if people are even still interested in reading old-fashioned blog posts, now that we have things like Alcohol rehab in Arizona, I’d like to go back to the art of writing letters, where we actually took time to compose our words carefully. Maybe I’m not done with blogging. Time will tell. If I can keep it up over the next few months, then I’ll stay. Let’s see.
For now though, I’d like to share a little list of 30 things I’ve learned since turning 30. I just turned 31 and that has ultimately led to a spot of reminiscing.
- Becoming vegan is the best decision you could ever make. You will instantly feel more connected to your true values- those of kindness and compassion.
- 30 isn’t scary, or old. What is age anyway? 30 is kind of like standing on a roof looking down on your life so far, and feeling grateful for where you are now.
- It’s ok to say no and stay in bed and read, even if it’s a Friday night and everyone you know is out partying.
- Not drinking alcohol is lovely.
- Going on a 10 day silent retreat is easier than you think. It’s the best feeling actually.
- You will not achieve all your goals, but that doesn’t mean you should give up trying.
- You are probably where you meant to be, even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes.
- Comparison is the biggest thief of joy.
- You don’t need to buy so many things. In fact, you should only buy what you need. Don’t be a consumer.
- Minimalism will make your mind feel less cluttered too.
- Donate/give away everyone you don’t need/use, and I mean everything.
- Practice gratitude everyday.
- Even when it’s raining and you really don’t feel like it, you should go exercise. It’ll make you feel better.
- Experiment with new food. Creativity can be unlocked in the kitchen.
- A smile can go a long way. Even if someone isn’t very nice to you, just smile. Always be the bigger person.
- Don’t take the pill. Our body is meant to be in tune with the moon. Don’t mess with hormones.
- Tread on this precious earth more carefully. Use less water, say no to plastic. Just be more mindful.
- Be happy for other people, even if you’re feeling sad.
- If you are able to, volunteer your time/money/help in any way you can.
- Never go to bed until a fight has been resolved.
- You can’t change other people, but you can inspire them to change their perspective.
- Acknowledge your flaws and change what you can, and let the other stuff go- no one is perfect.
- Social media can be weird. You don’t need to share you life on the internet or prove to anyone that you are “living”.
- Don’t let your emotions control you. Everything is impermanent. Remember that.
- When you find your tribe, keep them close. Communication is key.
- Do something for someone else everyday for free.
- Don’t have expectations. You can’t expect other people to act the way you would.
- When you don’t know what you’re doing with your life or who you are, just realise you’re being silly. Your purpose is inside you.
- Always be yourself, you can’t please everyone.
- Love and kindness go a long way. Love yourself, love your loved ones, let them know everyday.
That’s all for now. I have a new Luna’s Letters project coming soon, so I’m off to brainstorm for that.